UPDATED 9:12 AM PT – Wednesday, June 30, 2021
The search for survivors in Florida’s condo collapse has continued with more than 3 million pounds of concrete removed so far. The Miami-Dade mayor said there are no new fatalities to report as of Tuesday with the death toll standing at 12 and more than 149 people still missing.
Around 210 first responders from state, national and global teams are working on 12-hour shifts through the rain in Surfside. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) has been at the scene every day meeting with first responders as well as families of victims. He said the search will not let up at any cost and authorities are holding out hope of finding survivors.
“And people ask, you know, ‘is there hope’ or ‘what’s going to happen?’ And the way I look at it as an old Navy guy, as you know, when somebody is missing in action in the military, you’re missing until you’re found,” DeSantis stated. “And we don’t stop the search and so I think that that’s what’s what’s happening.”
This is the first time in Florida’s history that all eight Urban Search and Rescue teams have been deployed, outside of hurricane response efforts. These brave men and women have worked a combined total of over 22,000 hours to continue the search and rescue mission. pic.twitter.com/46ZruVJhxh
— Ron DeSantis (@GovRonDeSantis) June 29, 2021
Florida Sen. Marco Rubio (R) also discussed the condo collapse and noted nothing should be ruled out this early in the investigation. He said it’s important to understand what happened to the Champlain condo buildings in order to evaluate other structures that may also be at risk.
Meanwhile, Joe Biden is expected to travel to Florida to meet with first responders and families as early as Thursday.